Analytics and Statistics for Any Telegram Channel or Chat
Telegram reached 700 million active users per month. It is important for marketers to know what those people do: what channels they read, how much they text.
We look into how to analyze Telegram platforms and check statistics and analytics data using free tools.
- Telegram is one of the five most popular instant messengers in the world (700 million/month).
- Telegram takes 9th place in the ranking of the most popular social media
- 55.2 million people daily use messenger
- Telegram is most often downloaded in Russia and India
- 58% of the audience are men, 42% are women
- The most popular topics in Telegram in Telegram - news (82%), entertainment and politics (59%) and education (55%)
What Platforms and Metrics Telegram Has?
There are two platform types in Telegram: channels and chats. They have their metrics and analyzing capabilities.
A Channel is a place where only author’s messages appear.
Key statistics to measure in channels:
- Coverage of 1 post;
- Views per day;
- ERR (the ratio of the average number of reactions per post to the number of users reached);
- VRpost (how many people in relation to the total number of subscribers saw the publication).
A Group/Chat is a dialogue with multiple members
Indicators to measures:
- Number of members.
- Number of messages per day/month/etc.
- Activity of each member.
Over 31% of Telegram users are between the ages of 25 and 34.
Users between the ages of 18 and 24 make up 22% of Telegram user base.
38% of Telegram users live in Asia, 27% in Europe, 21% in Latin America, and 8% in the Middle East and North Africa.
Users by Region
With 70.48 million downloads, India is the country with the most Telegram downloads. As of 2023, Telegram is available in 155 countries.
Telegram is currently blocked in China, Iran, and Pakistan.
You can read more about Telegram user statistics here.
How much time users spend on Telegram
According to a study by Datareportal, Telegram users spend an average of 3 hours 57 minutes per month on the messenger. This figure has doubled over the past two years.
Why do people use Telegram?
According to a study by Statista, 75% of users use Telegram to read the news. Another 69% of users choose Telegram because it is more convenient than other messengers.
29% of users use Telegram to download music, movies and books, and 17% use Telegram to create stickers.
Telegram users are least interested in the channels of well-known companies (11%) and job search (15%).
In 2023, Telegram monetizes the service through advertising in posts, a paid Telegram Premium subscription, and the sale of nicknames.
- The most expensive nickname in Telegram (@news) was sold for $994,000
- 62% of Telegram channel administrators earn from advertising, 45% receive income from sales of their goods or services, 23% earn on affiliate programs
- 12.6% of Telegram channel administrators earn over $1300
- 36% of advertisers spend up to $330 on advertising in Telegram
Telegram Channels Statistics
In February 2023, the largest channels on Telegram were “Telegram Tips” with 8.7 million subscribers and “Telegram News” with 6.4 million subscribers.
According to the TelegramChannels service, the total audience of the fifty largest Telegram channels in the world is 102 million subscribers.
Top 10 largest telegram channels in the world (feb 2023):
The largest total audience of Telegram channels and chats is in Russia (2.47 billion), Iran (1.2 billion), Uzbekistan (651 million) and India (609 million).
Telegram Premium stats
The Telegram Premium subscription was launched on June 19, 2022. A paid account gives you access to additional features, including voice message recognition, spectacular animation, the ability to disable ads, and increased limits: on the size of the uploaded file, the number of subscriptions, pinned chats, etc. Thanks to a paid subscription, you can make content more colorful, which increases the ER of the channel. Unfortunately, a Premium account can only be purchased for a person and cannot be purchased for the channel itself, so if several authors work on the channel, then everyone needs Premium.
Telegram Premium quickly surpassed 1 million subscribers and became one of the most successful examples of a social media subscription plan ever launched, after which other social networks copied the feature. So far, Telegram Premium accounts for only a small part of the income, but it is growing steadily and someday can even compete with advertising, Durov believes.
Considering the amount of money a business spends on advertising on Telegram, the subscription cost for channel creators really pays off.
Tools for Telegram Analysis
There are several tools for Telegram analytics on the market. We will discuss three of them: a channel analyzer, a chat analyzer and a content analyzer.
Channel Analytics in Telegram: Tgstat
It is a non-profit project gathering statistics for more than 14,000 Telegram channels. All the statistics of Telegram channels is open and can be viewed by anyone. The data are automatically updated every day.
The project’s website also has its rating of Telegram channels where platforms are divided in categories and compared with each other by several parameters: subscribers, growth rate, views, citation index. This data of important metrics greatly simplifies the analysis in Telegram. This data can be used for planning advertising in Telegram.
Tgstat provides the following channel statistics:
- Number of subscribers;
- Average reach of a post (only channel’s own posts are considered, without shares);
- Average daily number of views (also without considering shares);
- Number of shares: how many times other channels participating in the rating shared channel’s posts;
- Number of mentions: how many times other public channels from the rating mentioned the channel under consideration;
- Daily posting frequency.
The tool plots diagrams based on Telegram statistics data. They can be replotted over various periods.
Limited functionality of the tool is available from @TGStat_Bot. It summarizes Telegram statistics.
Chat Analytics in Telegram: Combot
To analyze a chat, add Combot to it. The tool analyzes members’ activity and chat’s popularity.
It is available as @combot in Telegram. To view chat statistics in Telegram, call the bot in dialogue using the command /stat. It will send a link to your group’s statistics.
Combot provides statistics of Telegram for the following indicators:
- Number of messages (all-time, daily average, hourly average);
- Users’ activity (number of active users over selected period, daily average number of active users);
- Chat activity: the diagram is plotted based on message number and length;
- Activity by day hours.
Combot also shows in Telegram stats for any user, finds the most active members, number of days when users are active.
The tool has its own chat rating. The chat lists here are divided by country, and there is also a common rating for platforms from all over the world.
Content Analytics in Telegram: Popsters
Use Popsters to find the most popular posts and understand what content works best on the channel. The tool works with any existing channel. You don’t have to be the admin or add a bot to do the analysis on Telegram. This allows comparing different channels with each other: e.g., to study competitors’ activity or choose channels for ad placement.
The tool finds posts that receive the highest number of views or the highest visibility rate (VR). This metric evaluates the post’s degree of visibility, i.e. the percentage of subscribers who have seen the post.
On popsters.com, you can figure out and assess the best week days and day hours to post.
Moreover, Popsters allows exporting all the channel’s content over the required period.
In addition, the tool analyzes:
- VR by content type;
- VR by text length;
- Number of posts by text length;
- Number of posts by content type;
- Relative activity by text length and content type;
- Post views.
You can study and make analysis of any Telegram metric for the required period:
- There are different platform types in Telegram: channels and groups/chats.
- Telegram has few metrics to assess. These are subscribers and views for channels and members and activity for chats.
- Use Tgstat to analyze a Telegram channel. It shows Telegram statistics: views, subscribers, shares and channel mentions.
- Use Combot to analyze a chat. It calculates activity of each user and total chatting activity.
- Use Popsters to assess content. The tool significantly expands the possibilities of Telegram analytics. It finds the most popular posts and analyzes post success in terms of different parameters: posting time, text length, content format.
Useful articles on a similar topic:
- Best Social Media Content Tools: Free and Paid;
- How to view Instagram statistics for any profile;
- How to quickly view YouTube statistics of any channel;
- Proven Methods To Increase Telegram Channel Subscribers.
Try Popsters Trial plan to get content activity statistics of any pages for a next 7 days for freeTry for free